So here are the top hair and skin “must haves” our readers suggest for fellow nurses.
1. Face Cleaning: Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Cleansing Pads. On-the-go pads are a great idea for throwing in your purse and avoiding the temptation to skimp on the most important step to looking great: clean skin! Now you can wipe off your makeup and the day’s grime while sitting at a traffic light so you’ll be ready to hit the pillow when you get home from your long shift.
One package of 28 pads around $7.50
2. Body Moisturizing: Cetaphil Lotion. Depending on where you work, you can go from humid one minute to a dry environment for the next 12 hours (if you’re working in a hospital)! Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion is known to be gentle on all skin types and is the perfect catchall for varying environmental conditions your shift has in store for you.
16 oz. bottle around $14
3. Hand Lotion: Eucerin Calming Creme. “It’s not super oily and does a nice job for moisturizing,” said one nurse. It’s also fragrance free, which is a plus in any medical environment where you have to take allergens into account.
14 oz. tube around $14.
4. Hair Repair: Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask. Masks aren’t just for faces! A weekly session with this inexpensive treatment will leave your hair looking full and unbelievably soft. It’s great for delivering a boost of moisture to extra dry or over-processed hair. Use it in the shower once a week instead of your regular conditioner. Your hair will be silky soft for a truly nice price.
6 oz. jar around $8.50
5. Leave-In Conditioner: Nexxus Headress Thickening Leave-In Volumizer. Precious minutes count when you’re running late. Skip a step in your morning routine by switching to a leave-in conditioner.
13.5 oz. bottle around $18
6. Long Lasting Makeup: Revlon ColorStay Foundation. Known for holding up for many hours, especially for those nurses with oily skin. It also includes SPF. After applying the base, you may want use a light powder to “set” your foundation. Choose a powder that feels silky when rubbed between your fingers.
Prices vary depending on type and size. A 1 oz. bottle of the signature line is approximately $10.