Summer is in full swing and the warmer weather brings lots of new opportunities to improve your health: plenty of fresh, local produce and more choices for outside activities. Here’s how to make the most of the summer months.
1. Choose water workouts and make a splash as you get fit and strong.
2. Add color, variety, and flavor to your meals with fruits and vegetables fresh from your local farmers market.
3. Visit museums, the zoo, or an aquarium and walk for hours without realizing it.
4. When the sidewalks sizzle, get moving indoors with a fun fitness video or DVD.
5. Start a small garden in your yard or in a community patch to exercise, grow healthy food, and have fun with family and neighbors.
6. Plan a weekend hike through a park, a family softball game, or an evening walk around your neighborhood.
7. Fuel your summer with nutrient-rich foods like whole grains, fat-free or low-fat milk and cheese, seafood, lean meats, poultry, eggs, beans, nuts, and seeds.
8. Drink plenty of water before, during, and after exercise, especially when the temperature soars.
9. Strengthen your muscles at least twice a week with push-ups, pull-ups, or lifting weights
10. Beat the heat with an early morning activity. Go for a walk or bike ride while watching the sun come up.