As nurses, we get to work with and care for patients everyday. Some days we hear some VERY interesting things come out of their mouths! With some help from our fantastic Facebook community, we’ve compiled some anecdotes that are sure to have you giggling (and shaking your head) the entire way.
- I had an elderly patient tell me that she was allergic to Lasix. When I asked what kind of reaction she suffered from the drug, she said that it made her pee all night. With a straight face, I had to explain to her that was the whole idea for the medication. – Paul J. S.
- I had a patient who I found was on the floor, so I asked him what he was doing. He replied, “I need to call someone.” I asked who you gonna call he replied, “GHOSTBUSTERS” – what a night. – Malou G.
- I had a patient decide he wanted to be palliative, he then asked me and the doctor if we could “unplug” him. I said, “you aren’t plugged into anything, there aren’t any machines keeping you alive.” lol – Julie B.
- My confused patient told me “well at least you’re pretty, when the nurses are ugly it makes me feel worse.” – Annette R.
- Pt’s mother frantically rushed into the hall while pushing the call bell and yelled “my daughter is having an allergic reaction! I need help!” We all rushed in to find that it was a tickle in her nose from the nasal cannula. Mother still insisted oxygen be added to the allergies list and the NC be removed. ?? – Jen Nifer S.
- One of the least crazy things I’ve heard, but funny nonetheless was a patient coming in with a rash and asking us if applying breast milk to it would help because she saw it happen on the Kardashians. – Daniella P.
- Confused pt. got his bed alarm off and wandered into a woman’s room across the hall. She comes out to the nurses station in a panic telling everyone there’s a man in her room. I run in and he’s sitting on the toilet in her room. I ask him what he’s doing and he looks at me like I’m crazy and asks “what do you usually do on the can?!” – Kenzi D.
- While chatting to a pre-op patient (who was a nurse), she informed me that she was allergic to penicillin. I asked her if she had a previous reaction. She then said that she just presumed she was allergic because everyone else was… – June S.
- When the spouse of a patient asks if I’ll take his BP, too. Or when I take a pulse, pt asks what it is, then says “That’s not what my Fitbit says!” – Peggy B.
- I walked into a patients room this morning and said, “Good Morning!” all chipper. And they say,”Oh yea? What’s so good about it?!” – Jessica L.
- My patient said her reason for coming to L&D was because her ‘idiotic fluid’ was leaking. –Margo L.
- When I asked an elderly lady if she drank everyday, she said, “no, I only drink at night.” –LeeAnne M>
Do you have any good (or ridiculous) patient stories?! Share them in the comments section below.